Often, to make hot drinks in a teapot, boiling water is boiled, which has high rigidity due to salt impurities. When heated, salts precipitate, which is deposited on the walls of the tank, forming a dense coating after some time. In the article, we will consider how to clean the kettle from scale at home.
If the dishes are not cleaned, scale prevents the heating of water, impairs the cooling of the heating element, which leads to overheating and increases the risk of failure of the device.
Plaque of salts with systematic ingestion into the human body leads to the development of various diseases, including gout, osteochondrosis and stones in the urinary system, so regular cleaning of the kettle is required. How to perform the procedure correctly and safely?
Safety precautions and preparatory phase
- Do not use synthetic products used for washing machines for cleaning. Only products created for kitchen equipment and appliances, the surface of which is in contact with food, are suitable. Chemicals and abrasive products may, after use, end up in drinking water, as it is difficult to remove from plastic and metal elements.
- To clean the outer surface, you can use household chemicals without abrasive inclusions. It's better to forget about metal sponges or brushes.
- Before cleaning the kettle, unplug the appliance and cool it. To avoid deposits in drinking water, the kettle is equipped with a filter. It is located in the nose and also requires cleaning.
- Do not immerse the appliance in water or any other cleaning fluid.
All of the following procedures must be performed in a well-ventilated area using rubber gloves and respiratory tract protection.
Folk remedies against scale
If the kettle is covered with too much scale, then not all means will help to achieve the result the first time. However, you should not be upset, there are effective alternative methods that perfectly cope with a raid and cost almost nothing.
To prepare the solution you will need 9% table vinegar and water. In the kettle, draw ⅔ of water from the maximum level. Then add vinegar to the max mark. Boil the solution, then leave to cool.
If you did not find 9% vinegar, use vinegar essence (70%). Pour water into the kettle to the max mark, then add 2-3 tablespoons of the essence.
Rinse the appliance thoroughly with water at the end. If it was not possible to remove all the scum the first time, repeat the procedure. The disadvantage of this method is the sharp smell of vinegar (especially in the case of essence), so the room should be well ventilated.
It is not recommended to use vinegar to clean enameled dishes!
The solution is prepared at the rate of 10 grams of citric acid per 1 liter of water. Usually, acid is packaged in 25 gram sachets, so for a standard kettle you will need one sachet.
The resulting solution, as in the case of vinegar, bring to a boil.After boiling, turn off the kettle, as the solution may begin intense foaming. Let the kettle cool, drain the solution, rinse thoroughly with water. Repeat the procedure if necessary.
If the kettle has not been cleaned for a long time and the scale layer is large enough, then before carrying out one of the above procedures, it is necessary to boil water with baking soda in it. The solution is prepared at the rate of 2 tbsp. tablespoons of soda per 1 liter of water. Such preparation will give a more active reaction with acid and increase the likelihood of purification.
The method is suitable for any kettle except an electric one. Sweet carbonated water must contain phosphoric and citric acid. Suitable drinks are Coca-Cola, Fanta or Sprite. They clean scale and cope with rust.
Before starting the procedure, open the lid and release gas from the drink. Pour into a kettle to a medium level, bring to a boil and let the liquid cool. Drain and rinse the inside thoroughly with water.
Many forums recommend using Sprite, because the colorless liquid does not leave a characteristic color inside the device, while Coca-Cola and Fanta can color the inside.
Running cases require a combination of several methods. High-pot kettle clear in the following way:
- Perform the first boil with water and soda, drain the liquid, and rinse the kettle.
- Perform the second boiling for half an hour. To do this, add 1-2 teaspoons of citric acid to water and rinse the container with water after boiling.
- Perform the third boiling with water and vinegar.
At the end of the procedure, the scale will become loose and without any problems it will lag behind the walls. After that, wash the device thoroughly again to prevent acid and crumble from entering the future drink.
Purchased products and chemistry
If you need to quickly and easily remove scale from an electric kettle, use specialized tools sold in stores. Such remedies are effective and act quickly enough.
- "Antinakipin" - is on sale, inexpensive, the desired result is quickly achieved.
- “Descaler” is a cheap and effective remedy.
- “Major Domus” - a proven product in liquid form, unfortunately, is not found in all stores.
Using scum powders is quite simple: pour them into the kettle and fill it with water. After boiling, drain the water and rinse the appliance thoroughly from the inside.
If at home there were no ingredients necessary for cleaning, try cucumber pickle. Pour it into a kettle and boil for 1-2 hours. Instead of brine, you can also use serum or sour milk.
On the Internet, there is a method of cleaning apple peels. Only sour apples are suitable, the peel of which is filled with water and boiled in the teapot for an hour.
After the procedures, the kettle is thoroughly washed.
The best way to solve the problem is to prevent the appearance of scale.
- Sponge the inside of a thin layer of scale after 1-2 times using the kettle.
- Boil pre-filtered water.
- Do not leave boiled water in the teapot for a long time, pour out excess immediately.
- Perform descaling monthly so that the coating does not become too thick.
Cleaning and maintenance procedures will protect the kettle from scale, extending the life of the heating element.