A mattress is a multi-layer construction, for the manufacture of which different materials are used: foam rubber, coconut, bike, holofiber, cotton wool, etc. Cleaning mattresses at home is possible, but keep in mind that hard-to-remove and old stains, fluid accumulation in tissues provoke microbial reproduction and occurrence mold, which affects the appearance of the bed and its smell.
Harmful fumes adversely affect human health, causing allergic rhinitis and skin rashes. Therefore, sooner or later, a mattress will need a professional chemist. cleaning.
Cleaning the mattress from stains
Arming yourself with a washcloth and detergent to remove dirt from the mattress, first figure out what the origin of the stain is, whether it is fresh or old. The choice of cleaning agent, the sequence of actions, and the precautionary rules depend on this.
- Blot a fresh wet spot thoroughly with a paper or lint-free, non-stain cloth. Collect moisture, preventing penetration into the deeper layers, as with cleaning sofas.
- Use fresh water or soapy water to remove fresh contaminants without a pungent odor. With a sponge moistened with liquid, gently pat the surface. Alternative: use a washing vacuum cleaner.
- Remove stubborn stains with special stain removers. Use your own prepared formulations (a few recipes will be discussed below). Wet the surface first, then act on the structure.
- You can’t fill the pollution with water or detergents abundantly - the liquid will penetrate into the deep layers of the mattress, and this is an occasion for mold development.
- Clean with moisture resistant gloves. Stain removers adversely affect the skin.
do not rub stains on mattresses - spoil the fabric. Caustic compounds and friction damage matter, deform the product.
Textile stain removers
It is advisable to remove stains of urine, fat, blood or felt-tip pens with specialized household products. These include the well-proven stain removers TM “Amway”, “Vanish”, “Dr. Beckmann. " They do not spoil the fabric, have a tolerable smell, and are also suitable for palace.
To eliminate fresh and old pollution, Antipyatin, Unima Max, Loc and others are widely used. Purchased formulations are available in convenient form (in the form of pencils, napkins, etc.).
When choosing a product, pay attention to precautions and method of use, especially if children and animals are at home. Price is not the main selection criterion, because the result is important.
Treat with ethyl or ammonia. Put on gloves, dampen a cotton pad or cloth in the product and thoroughly blot a greasy stain. Leave to dry completely. Repeat if necessary.
Traces of fat are also removed with talcum powder or potato starch. Pour the product into the dirt, cover with a dry cloth and iron it. Vacuum the talcum powder or starch after 15 minutes. A dishwashing detergent copes with greasy places (diluted with water and sprayed onto a stain).
- Red wine and liquor are removed by sprinkling with table salt or soda. After a few minutes, the powder is carefully collected, the pollution is washed with a damp washcloth.
- Juice from the surface of the mattress is eliminated with a mixture of vinegar and ammonia, combined in equal amounts. Alternative: mix lemon juice and cold water, taken in equal proportions (or replace with a solution based on citric acid).
- Coffee spilled on the bed is removed using a composition of two components: 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of ammonia. Removes coffee stains with saline, a mixture of alcohol and vinegar, a mild soap.
- Stains of tea and beer are removed with a solution of table vinegar.
Stains of urine, vomiting, feces
Organic contaminants are not easily removed because they contain complex compounds and have a pungent odor. This applies to children's urine and traces left by pets. There are several ways to deal with such problems.
- Laundry or liquid soap, powder without colored granules. Prepare a soap solution and treat the stain to prevent moisture from penetrating deeply. Collect excess liquid with napkins.
- A lemon solution (based on natural juice or powder acid) is applied to the surface for 1.5-2 hours, gently wetting the contamination.
- Combine in equal amounts salt and lemon juice. Apply the resulting mixture to the problem area, leave for 1 hour, then wipe with a damp sponge.
- Add 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons of soda, a couple of drops of liquid soap. Stir and quickly pour into the atomizer, as the components are active for several minutes. Spray the mixture; after 5 minutes, blot it with a cloth moistened with water. Collect liquid with a towel.
- Dilute table vinegar with water in a ratio of 1: 3. The solution neutralizes uric acid, eliminates the pungent odor. Spray through or spray gently with a sponge. Pour soda from above, which will fix the result and absorb the excess liquid. After 15 minutes, blot with a tissue.
- A mixture of table vinegar, water, detergent or washing powder, baking soda in the proportions of 1: 0.5: 0.5: 2 is effective in combating urine stains. The product is applied to the mattress, left for several minutes, then blotted with a damp cloth, dried with a towel.
- Mix in a small glass 50 ml of hydrogen peroxide, a handful of corn starch, 1 tablespoon of toothpaste. Apply to the stain, wait for it to dry, scrape it off with a blunt knife, and collect the remainder with a vacuum cleaner.
- Dilute 1 teaspoon of ammonia in 100 ml of water. Moisten a cotton pad, apply to the problem area, repeat if necessary with a more concentrated solution.
- Spray on the stain with a glass cleaner, rub the dirt with a sponge. Rinse off the residue with ammonia dissolved in water.
- Heat some glycerin and apply with a cotton pad. The trace of pollution is cleaned with ammonia.
- A small fraction of the cat litter is poured onto a fresh stain, crushed and left for half an hour. After clean with a broom or vacuum cleaner, and the surface is treated in any way.
The main rule: do not use hot water and heated detergents, otherwise the protein will curl up and it will become more difficult to eliminate the stain. Blood is removed in several ways.
- Laundry soap. Rub the stain and froth with a toothbrush. Wash off the soap solution with water, collect moisture with dry wipes.
- Combine 1 cup of water and 1 tablespoon of salt, put this solution in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto a fresh stain of blood and pat it with a rag.
- Mix 1 cup of water and half a glass of baking soda. Blot gauze liberally in this solution, apply to contamination. After half an hour, remove the cleansing “compress” and rinse off the residue with a clean, wet sponge.
- Combine starch, salt and hydrogen peroxide (3%) in a 2: 1: 1 ratio. Apply the resulting mixture and let it dry. Remove the paste with a napkin.
- Dissolve an aspirin tablet in a glass of water. Wipe the problem area with the resulting solution.
- Blot the surface with hydrogen peroxide without blocking the formation of foam. When finished, wash the dirt, dry.
- For 0.5 liter of water, add 1 tablespoon of dishwashing detergent. Shake the mixture and apply to contamination. Brush with a toothbrush, remove the remaining foam with a damp sponge.
Dirt is removed with a mixture of vinegar and warm water, combined in equal proportions. After thoroughly wetting, wash the surface with warm water or soapy water.
Traces of makeup
Lipstick, mascara and similar impurities are carefully removed with blotting paper. Remove residues gently with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. If necessary, wash the products with a non-aggressive detergent composition, for example, a soap solution.
Nail polish and ink stains
Such pollution at home is eliminated in one way: with a special polish remover. But first try on an inconspicuous area of the mattress. Soak a cotton swab in acetone and soak up the nail polish with gentle touches. Ink is removed with concentrated lemon solution.
The remains of the frozen paraffin are carefully cleaned with a blunt knife. Then iron the back of the cover with an iron through blotting paper. The final step is to remove the remaining greasy stain base with alcohol.
Traces of glue, chewing gum
Cover the contaminated area with ice, preferably dry. After cooling, remove dirt with a blunt knife. Stains on the fabric are eliminated with alcohol, it is advisable to moisten them through blotting paper.
Persistent dirt and stains of unknown origin
Dilute the dishwashing detergent in water, pour into a spray bottle. Apply the composition to the stain and cover with an absorbent cloth. After a while, clean.
An excellent result is shown by soda and hydrogen peroxide. Pour a 1 mm high layer of soda onto the surface. Spray the mixture from a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water, combined in a ratio of 1: 2, from above. Leave the resulting foaming gruel to act for 2 hours, remove the remaining napkins and a vacuum cleaner.
To remove stains of urine and old stubborn dirt, use a borax, as for cooking lizun. Rub into a damp spot (fresh or old, moistened with water). When the product dries, collect the powder with a vacuum cleaner.
To remove old stains, use an ultraviolet lamp and a vacuum cleaner.
Brown border of an old spot
It is formed between wet and dry areas of the fabric when dirt is removed and is eliminated with the help of washing powder, which does not contain colored granules. For prevention, dry wet places on the mattress with a hairdryer without turning on hot ten.
Using vinegar and other strong odor removers to remove stains, open windows to ventilate the room or clean from a balcony or garage.
The solution to this problem is best left to professionals. To combat mold, dry the mattress by setting it on a balcony or loggia. Additional processing of the product with purchased and home disinfectants is possible.
chlorine-containing detergents must not be used to combat mold and pollution. At home, it will not be possible to completely rinse the product. The pungent smell of bleach irritates the mucous membranes.
When purchasing a mattress, pay attention to the composition. Some materials are allergenic and have a specific smell. Assess the condition of the package.
The smell of an unpacked mattress
The unpleasant smell of a new product appears due to adverse storage conditions, poor packaging. Under good weather conditions, take it outside with a light cloth.Leave in the fresh air for a couple of days. If the apartment does not have a balcony, a loggia or a private courtyard, provide good ventilation in the house by putting the mattress closer to the window.
Smell of pollution
Stains of sweat, urine, vomiting, some foods, cosmetics have a specific smell. To clean the mattress, stock up with moisture-resistant gloves to preserve your skin. Optimal home methods for deodorizing treatments:
- Sprinkle with soda. Spread evenly over the surface of the stain, leave for a day. Vacuum the cleaner. Alternative: Coat the contaminants with wet soda.
- Detergent for delicate or baby items. Use the same way as soda.
- Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice or a solution of citric acid to the problem area. Blot the stain thoroughly with the selected product and let it dry.
- Combine the vinegar solution with water in a ratio of 1: 3 and treat the contamination. If the result is not satisfactory, sprinkle a wet spot with soda for several hours.
- A wet stain is rubbed with a bar of laundry soap for 20 minutes, after which the foam is removed with an acetic solution. Remove excess moisture with a dry cloth.
- Flushing the case with ammonia solution. It is necessary to mix 400 ml of water, 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide, 100 ml of ammonia. The composition is applied to contamination with a wet sponge or spray, the wet place is delicately washed with cold running water and dried.
- Application of a solution of potassium permanganate on a urine spot. The smell and the problem will disappear when it comes to a fresh “label”.
- Flushing contamination with a solution of hydrogen peroxide (add 12 drops in 1 liter of water). Gently stain and dry.
- Removing dirt and odor with iodine solution (not applicable for mattresses with light upholstery). In 1 liter of water, add 20 drops of an antiseptic, moisten a cotton pad, treat the pollution.
You can destroy unpleasant odors of urine, sweat, tobacco from bed with disinfectants: vodka, glycerin, salt.
INTERESTING: prevent unpleasant odors on the bed by sprinkling green tea leaves between the mattress and bed frame.
Specialized odor absorbers
Specialized products - bulk, in the form of a spray, etc., are sold in pet stores, household chemical goods supermarkets, and specialized online stores. Get rid of the smell of cat urine and tags really with the help of the odor absorber "Wi-Closet." Put a sachet made on your own or purchased at the store in bed.
Features of cleaning orthopedic mattresses
Humidify orthopedic mattresses should be a last resort. The penetration of moisture into the deeper layers will lead to mold and rust.
It is advisable to use a cover to eliminate stains without harm. Orthopedic products are cleaned by conventional means, but with one condition: they act gently and do not fill with water or detergent. Dry in the fresh air with a fan or hairdryer. Cleaning with a steam cleaner or a washing vacuum cleaner is allowed.
- Use a mattress pad that is easy to machine wash.
- Get a moisture protective cover. It is indispensable when it comes to a baby bed.
- Turn the mattress over once a week. Swap the “head” and “legs”, “top” and “bottom”.
- Regularly clean the mattress with a vacuum cleaner, wipe the bed frame from dust.
- Once a month, wrap the product with a damp sheet and knock it out or use a steam generator, and then expose it to fresh air for ventilation. This is the prevention of pollution, the appearance of odors and parasites.
- Shop at household chemical stores to protect your mattress from dust, breeding bugsharmful bacteria.
- Consider the type of product and fillers, choosing the type of cleaning. It is unacceptable to treat many mattresses with a steam generator, to others it is allowed to apply only dry cleaning.
Caring for a mattress at home is a difficult task, but a must. Take care of him, because the quality of your rest and state of health depends on this.