If you intend to make a four-legged friend and have already managed to get the consent of the family, the question of how to choose the right dog is probably tormenting. It is not surprising, because getting lost in a sea of wet noses and prying eyes is not difficult.
Since childhood, it is known that a dog is a friend of a person. A dog is the first animal that humans have tamed. The dog is an eternal helper and companion, personifying selfless love and devotion.
In the article you will learn what considerations should be followed in choosing a dog.
We select a dog breed for ourselves and a child
Many are guided by the breed when choosing a dog. They push the character to the background. An expensive dog is part of the image along with an expensive car, a chic mansion and clothes of a famous brand. This approach to choosing a four-legged friend is wrong.
- Before buying a dog, think about whether there is enough time to raise a pet. Do not disregard the organization of living conditions for keeping a doggie.
- Indigenous breeds are popular - Central Asian Shepherd Dogs, Husky and Samoyeds. Undoubtedly, the plastic psyche of the animal is able to adapt to the new habitat, but living in a city apartment is not suitable for these breeds.
- When choosing a dog, keep in mind that the treatment and maintenance of the animal is fraught with financial costs.
- When choosing, consider temperament and character. If a person is choleric, the purchase of a Dalmatian, dachshund or fox terrier should be abandoned. It is better to choose a spaniel or retriever.
- Fighting dog breeds need the right training and strong arm. Otherwise, the dog will become uncontrollable and dangerous. There are many stories with fighting dogs that ended tragically.
- A pet will limit your freedom of choice in the field of leisure and travel. If you are planning to go on vacation, someone should look after the dog.
- After appearing in the house, dogs will have to be cleaned more often. It is necessary to prepare in advance for the fight against wool that appears on upholstered furniture and carpeting.
It is not difficult to have a pet, but remember about responsibility to the animal. Otherwise, the four-legged friend will become unnecessary and will be on the street or in the shelter.
Best breeds for a child
If a child asks for a puppy, do not be afraid of puddles on the floor and slippers eaten. Puppies behave in a similar way only at first.
The child will become a harmonious person. Shaggy companion protects from loneliness. The child, attached to the dog, will get rid of the complexes that often occur during communication with peers.
Children share secrets with the dog. The dog will listen carefully, understand and sincerely sympathize. In infantile children, the puppy contributes to the development of responsibility. A dog can entertain a child regardless of age. Communication with the puppy positively affects the discipline and vital interests of the child.
When choosing an animal, be guided by character, temperament and personal qualities. Prepare for the fact that the child refuses to raise and train the dog, and the solution to this problem will fall on the parental shoulders.
I offer a list of breeds that get along wonderfully with children.
- Collie. Kind, soft and calm. They are kind to children.
- Poodle. Unpretentious in content, suitable for active and temperamental children.
- Beagle. Small, smart and friendly dogs, perfectly trained.
- Golden retriever. Tolerant to children's pranks. Friendly and friendly.
- Yorkshire Terrier. A small dog, characterized by an amazing temperament. Ideal for girls.
If a child insistently asks for a puppy, forget about the principles and do it. I’ll say with confidence that new year present or a surprise for a birthday will change the life of the child, making it active, fun and eventful.
Home Guard Dogs
Guard dogs are significantly different from guard relatives. They not only warn the owner of a stranger on the territory of a suburban area, but also attack an uninvited guest.
Remarkable security features of the Giant Schnauzers, Black Terriers, Shepherd dogs and Rottweilers.
I will describe in detail the listed breeds.
- Shepherd dogs - classic home defenders. Suitable for the protection of vast territories and excellently trained. The owner should train, shepherds do not trust strangers. When an outsider enters the protected area, the shepherd shows protective qualities. If guests come, it is better to close the dog in the aviary.
- Black terrier - specially bred breed for security and official functions. Such a dog is strongly attached to the owner, relatives and relatives often do not recognize. The black terrier needs socialization from an early age. The dog is active and loves games.
- Giant Schnauzer - has been used in the watchdog industry since the beginning of the last century. Security qualities are well expressed. The dog is family friendly. Needs special care because of the long coat.
- Rottweiler - police dog. Security and watchdog instincts are developed excellently. The Rottweiler is unflappable in nature and is able to respond with a pushy attack. Although the dog’s coat is short, severe Russian winters are not terrible.
Small dogs are not suitable for house security. They are focused on aesthetic pleasure, protective functions are too tough for them. Representatives of small breeds bark loudly, but they cannot frighten away an uninvited guest.
How to choose a puppy
Let's talk about places where you can go for a puppy.
- Nursery. On the Internet there are contacts of the nursery of the breed you are interested in. I’ll say with confidence that there are many such establishments in the vicinity of your city. Remember, a dog with a pedigree is an expensive pleasure.
- Shelter. Having visited the shelter, you will pick up a puppy who, with proper training, will become an excellent defender. True, the protective qualities of a dog are directly dependent on training, physical activity and nutrition.
- Market. You can buy a dog on the market, but you can’t count on a good result, except if you are lucky. The owners of the animal seek to earn on the sale of the puppy, other aspects they are not interested in.
Pay attention to the choice.
- If you buy a puppy in a kennel, you have made the right decision. Be sure to ask to show photos of the puppy's parents, and tell a little about them.
- Ask about the diet of the puppy's parents. The nutrition and appearance of the dog will tell a lot about its future.
- If you prefer the shelter, talk to its representatives and ask for help in choosing.
Nurseries are distinguished by breeding and care about the preservation of certain qualities and health. The nursery provides ample opportunities in the information field, will provide complete information about the puppy and the pedigree of the parents.
If you take a puppy in a shelter, you are a noble person. Here you can find a good animal, characterized by the desire to protect a new family.
York puppy selection rules
The choice of York is a serious task, the solution of which should be approached as responsibly as possible. If at the time of purchase you take into account all the little things, the pet will never disappoint.
Before choosing, find a serious breeder, visit several nurseries and chat with the owners of York.
During the conversation, ask about the age of the puppies, the pedigrees of the parents, the quality of food and maintenance.If the shelter or the breeder’s house has dirty floors and smells unpleasant, and the hair is disheveled and the puppies are kept in cages, it is better to refuse cooperation. Surely they will not provide dog metrics and veterinary passports.
Consider the moments that should not be ignored.
- Rounded paws and straight limbs testify to the health of York. Movements must be unrestricted and coordinated. If the puppy is limping or there is a hump on the back, do not take it.
- Carefully inspect the puppy by hand. The nose should be cold, black and moist. The nose is warm only after sleep. Along the edge of the nose there should be no uncharacteristic discharge and a white border.
- Inspect the oral cavity without fail. A healthy dog has pink gums. Each jaw with two fangs and six incisors. Tick or scissor bite.
- Three-month-old York must have a closed fontanel. It is determined by probing the little girl. If your ears aren’t worth it, don’t be afraid. With age, they will take a normal stance.
- If you choose York with curly hair, remember that with age, the hair will not straighten.
- Do not neglect the tail of the Yorkshire Terrier. It should be smooth, without creases and thickenings.
Labrador puppy selection tips
Labradors are grown in nurseries. If you like dogs with a balanced character, it is better to get a thoroughbred animal in such an institution. Age must be at least 45 days.
Labradors are friendly, fearless and curious dogs. At a young age, they are highly active and do not show aggression. Labrador puppies calmly react to separation from sisters and brothers.
- When choosing a Labrador, pay attention to nutrition. A healthy puppy, well-fed and agile, with a pleasant smell and shiny coat.
- If acne and scratches are present on the skin, it itches all the time, the nose is dry, and the eyes are watery, it’s not worth buying.
- An important point is the exterior. Regardless of age, the dog should have a powerful head, a strong and wide skeleton, strong legs. Often the choice is made difficult by the non-standard growth of the animal. Do not worry, Labrador formation ends in 1 year.
- Look at the tail. The dog is a true protector, it never clamps the tail between the legs.
- The expression of the muzzle can determine the state of the puppy. Sad eyes are unusual for the breed. A typical Labrador always greets people with a warm and friendly look.
- Color - yellow, black or chocolate.
Choosing a German Shepherd puppy
German shepherd is a universal assistant. There is no dog work that she will not do.
First, decide why such a dog is needed. If you plan to become a breeder, choose a girl. Female shepherds are easier to train and have a more flexible psyche.
Keep in mind puppy breeding is a difficult task. If you have little time, no patience or just need a four-legged friend, get a dog. With him, much less trouble.
- It is better to take a shepherd in a country kennel, where puppies are in the fresh air. They are more hardened and stronger.
- Sometimes the kennel offers a lot of identical-looking puppies. To make the right choice, you should carefully examine each.
- The bite of the puppy must be strictly scissor-like. The color of the coat is black. The German Shepherd acquires real color with age.
- Up to three months of age, the ears of the puppies lie. If they got up earlier, this indicates certain problems.
- Inspect the face. If it is sharp, then everything is in order.
- A healthy puppy has thick and strong legs, a straight back, a strong and long neck. Ideally, it resembles a plump teddy bear.
- If the puppies look the same, study their behavior. You can call puppies to yourself. Who comes running first is a leader and very active.
When the puppy grows up, he will need a lot of space. If you have a city apartment, I do not recommend buying a puppy of this breed. So you ruin the life of yourself and the dog. If there is a country house, there is no better solution than a German shepherd.
Before buying a dog, be sure to surf the Internet or read the encyclopedia, which describes the breeds in detail. So you determine which dog you need.
Having a dog house is accompanied by additional cares. When buying a pet, get ready for this. If this does not scare you, take your wallet and go to the nursery for a new friend. Good luck