In the article, we will consider how to become a DJ at home from scratch. After reading the material, you will take the first steps towards becoming an ace in the field of playing music.
According to experts, a DJ is not a profession, but a state of mind. A real DJ does not seek to transform his favorite activity into commercial activity. He is not interested in the level of salary. It is important for him that a sincere smile shines on the faces of people.
It is safe to say that these words found support among many DJs, regardless of age and direction of activity. It is these fans who become legends and achieve financial success.
Many people who visit nightclubs dream of becoming a DJ at least for an instant. My friend is a professional DJ, who started from scratch. For the first time he experienced power at the controls at the age of fifteen. Over time, having gained valuable experience, he began working in the most popular clubs.
If you want to do what you love, there are several options.
- Selfeducation. In this case, you will have to buy equipment with which you hone your skills.
- DJ school. If you want to enroll in such an institution, first of all, read the reviews of graduates. Based on them, choose the best school.
- Lessons with a teacher. Together with the teacher, it will be possible to master the initial skills and get the first experience. After that, you will be able to meet people who will help you get into the club. There will be no problems with the equipment, but finding a good teacher is not easy.
Many confuse DJs with electronic musicians. Often people who write music in electronic format call themselves DJs. In reality, they are just musicians. Not all DJs write music, most often they mix ready-made compositions.
- At first, the salary is modest, but a lot will be required. Do not prioritize earnings when you gain experience and fees increase.
- Come to the club earlier than you should in order to prepare before the party.
- The task of a DJ is not only in playing music. He must interact with the public, strive cheer up and turn the show into a show.
- Do not forget to remind your club visitors about yourself. Otherwise, after a few weeks they will forget your name.
Useful Video Tips
Imagine your dream, get equipment and move to the goal without stops and hesitation. After some time, you will become a favorite of the club audience.
Step by Step Tips
At school, some dreamed of becoming astronauts, others as doctors, and still others police officers. Time has passed and now many students wish to become a famous DJ. It is not surprising, because outside the window is the 21st century, when they listen to music in electronic format using players and smartphones.
What does a DJ do? The work comes down to a selection of musical compositions, so that individual songs are well combined with others. What else will you need?
- Register on a thematic portal or forum. On the pages of Internet resources, a beginner DJ will find useful information, recommendations and tips.
- Install a special application on the computer. It will help a beginner to deal with equipment and learn how to use it. One popular solution is TraktorDJStudio.
- Over time, the beginner will acquire skills that will have to be put into practice. You can have a music party at home and offer your guests a set of songs.
- You can make acquaintance with an experienced DJ who will help with advice and share experience.
- Be sure to practice the game. Practice will teach people to understand dancing in terms of music.
- Do not disregard the dance floor. You can safely perform at charity parties, warm up the audience before a disco.
The information above will be the starting point in the great life of the DJ. Once you master the equipment, you have a long way to go.
What can a good DJ do?
DJ is a fascinating, interesting and multifaceted profession. And if it is impossible to get it at the university, this does not mean that a person will not become a professional in this field.
- Many people think that become good DJing at home is simple, and their lifestyle is bohemian. In reality, this is not so. For example, you came to a club and listened to a set lasting 120 minutes. You do not even mean how much the DJ spent the time and effort to create it.
- As practice shows, a beginner DJ, having played a couple of sets, considers himself a professional. If you go this way, you can lose close and faithful friends.
- The best way to advertise is to create a promotional disc. It is useful to indicate the name, contacts and name of the project on the box. Handing the disk to the right people.
- Many DJs, choosing the style of music, are moving in the direction of mass production. It is not right. You need to play music that you like. If you play music from which you turn, people dancing on the court will immediately notice it.
- Most DJs have reached a thorny path to achieve their goals. At the same time, there are people who, having made a small set, want to play in the most popular clubs. Not so simple. It is necessary to write down your creation and compare it with the work of other specialists. The difference will be obvious.
- With a little experience, some stop learning. This is due to a sense of significance and coolness. As a result, the rating is rapidly falling.
- For career growth, compiling tracks alone is not enough. You will have to master the art of writing music and strive to create a label.
- Some DJs only play music. This is not enough. We must strive for comprehensive development. As a result, the acquired knowledge will help you to move up the career ladder.
- Many DJs have the technique of mixing. However, not everyone boasts originality. It is necessary not only to turn the record, but to enjoy the music, connecting the imagination and the soul.
- A professional DJ differs from an ordinary colleague in the method of selecting material and the technique of performance. He constantly improves taste, watches hits and does not forget about old songs, among which there are “diamonds”.
If you want to engage in creative activities and delight visitors to clubs with music, achieve the result.
How to become club DJs
For the first time, the word “DJ” was used by Walter Winchell, a US radio commentator. So he called the famous radio speaker Martin Block.
Now DJs play music in public using sound media and technical means that change the musical material.
A profession cannot be obtained at a technical school or university. Officially, there is no such specialty. When you are employed as a DJ, an announcer or sound engineer will be recorded in the work book.
What does a DJ need?
- Equipment. At the beginning of a career, you can do without equipment, but in the future it will have to be purchased. Not every room boasts the necessary equipment.
- Music library. Each club DJ has its own music library, which is systematized and replenished. Do not limit yourself to your favorite songs. The main goal is to please the club’s audience.
- Personal qualities. A sense of rhythm, ear for music, mastery of the subtleties of music. Skills will have to be constantly developed. You can do without music education, but musical erudition will not hurt.
- Audience feeling. We'll have to turn on the people, and not put the songs mechanically. There is no ready-made recipe, the feeling will come with practice. You can not do without experiments, excitement, humor and artistry.
The first couple is better to play for free. If possible, borrow experience from experienced DJs. Plus, schools are opening in which they teach basic knowledge.
What do DJs do on the radio
DJs earn their living by playing music in clubs and on the radio. They do not belong to the league of musicians, since in most cases they do not use author’s songs, but the compositions of third-party artists collected in sets.
Some DJs work in clubs, others on the radio, and others like mobility. First of all, decide on the type of music medium that you will use. Play on:
- optical drives
- vinyl records,
- laptop or pc.
Equipment that reproduces musical compositions using computer equipment, discs and records at the same time is also for sale.
DJs are also divided according to the style of music. True, this is too time-consuming concept. In addition, professionals work with various musical styles.
Radio is designed to entertain people. It is included at work, in the car and taken to nature. Music distracts from worries and problems. Only an ace will force listeners to give preference to a particular wave and radio station.
- DJ makes sure that the music stream is not accompanied by glitches and interruptions. Reliable helps in this. appliances and internet.
- Using his voice and ability to speak beautifully, he delays listeners on the radio wave.
- You have to work with expensive equipment on the radio, so you need to be careful.
If you want to become a DJ from scratch, pay attention to the courses in which you will gain skills and knowledge. You can test your strength in practice on Internet radio stations.
The article has come to an end. I note that any optimistic and sociable person can become an expert in this field. And although such a profession is absent in our country, perhaps your achievements will contribute to the recognition of DJing in Russia. Good luck in this difficult matter!