Continuing the filling of the section "Recipes", I decided to write an article on how to deliciously salt the lard at home. In it I will give 5 step-by-step recipes for preparing treats and consider the benefits and harms of salty bacon.
For the preparation of tasty lard, high-quality raw materials are required. In different countries, fat has a specific taste. This is due to the diet of animals. In Ukraine, pigs are fed grain, and Belarusians use potatoes for this purpose.
For salting, soft fat is suitable and it is not difficult to determine it when buying, by piercing it with a knife or a toothpick. At the same time, the tool of labor should not meet strong resistance.
- Look at the mark - a mark of quality. Do not buy a product without it.
- Good fat has a soft thin skin (the thicker, the stiffer the dish), white with a pink tint, and the presence of a yellowish tint indicates that they are trying to sell you an old product.
- Salo easily absorbs the smell of products lying nearby. If upon arrival at home you find that it has been soaked, for example, with fish, soak in water with garlic.
- For rubbing, I recommend using coarse-grained salt. It will add a salty taste and remove excess moisture.
- To speed up salting, cut the fat into pieces. If necessary, make a puncture or incision in each piece. Do not spare the salts. The raw material absorbs as much as required, but it is impossible to salt it. Fill in a dark place, otherwise it will turn yellow.
As practice shows, people salt lard in various ways. I will give popular options, and you, guided by preferences and opportunities, choose the best.
Previously, children ate everything they served on the table, because you did not have to sort out. Over the years, everything has changed. And although my children don’t eat bacon, I often regret this product with my husband. It recalls childhood, when mothers pleased us with salted bacon, jacket potatoes and pickles.
Salting salted in brine - a classic recipe
- fat 1 kg
- coarse salt 6 Art. l
- garlic 1 PC
- Bay leaf 6 sheets
- black peas 6 grains
- allspice 6 grains
- water 1 l
- Soak lard in cold water for several hours. While soaked, make a pickle. Put salt, laurel and pepper in water. Boil the liquid and cool to a warm state.
- Cut the soaked ingredient into strips 4 centimeters wide and place in a suitable container. A food container or glass jar is suitable for this purpose.
- Slices of garlic into slices and lay between pieces of bacon. Pour everything with a brine, and put oppression on top so that it does not surface. Leave the workpiece for 24 hours at room temperature and keep it in the refrigerator for two more days.
- Remove the product from the brine, wait until it drains, put it in bags and put it in the freezer for four hours. During this time, it will grab and will be easily cut even by thin plates.
To make the finished treat delicious and more delicious, add some vegetables or spices. In any store, special seasoning for salting is sold. If one was not found, add a little caraway seeds, dry basil, paprika, coriander, mustard seeds or red pepper to the brine.
Salting lard with garlic - very tasty!
Usually fat is associated with Ukraine. But people of other nationalities do not deny themselves this pleasure. It happens that you return home from work, you want to eat, but in the pots it is empty. You open the refrigerator and you see aromatic and tasty lard. It with bread and onion easily drives away even a severe hunger and replaces a full meal.
- Fat - 1 kg.
- Coarse salt - 6 tbsp. spoons.
- Garlic - 1 head.
- Laurel - 6 leaves.
- Black pepper - 6 peas.
- Caraway seeds - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Caraway seeds, pepper and laurel (possible in arbitrary proportions) and pass through a coffee grinder. If there is no such assistant, use the grandfather's technique. Put the ingredients in a cloth, spin and grind with a hammer. Just do not overdo it with pepper. Salt the resulting mixture.
- With a mixture, spread each piece of bacon alternately. Do not spare the salts. Salo is different from meat in that it takes as much salt as needed, and the excess remains on the sidelines.
- Leave the workpiece for a day in a cool place.
- Float the garlic. One head is enough. Peel and chop the slices with the help of the garlic. Process the resulting garlic mass into slices and fold them tightly into a sealed container.
- Keep everything in the refrigerator for three days, and then put it in bags and put it in the freezer for storage.
Many while camping cook kebab. Without this dish, a full trip to the river or into the forest cannot be called. But it is not always possible to buy meat. In this case, homemade lard with garlic comes to the rescue. If you grill it over charcoal, you get a delicacy with a wonderful taste and a divine aroma.
How to salt lard in onion peel
Lard, which I cook according to this recipe, resembles smoked bacon. The delicacy cut into thin slices looks on any festive table and leaves the plates as quickly as smoked meats or cold cuts.
When guests learn that this fat is cooked on their own, they do not believe. To convince them, I share a secret recipe. For salting, I recommend using lard with a layer. Having bathed in onion peel, it will acquire a rosy hue and delicate aroma, and taste characteristics will ascend to heaven.
- Lard with a layer - 1 kg.
- Salt - 200 g.
- Onion peel - 2 handfuls.
- Sugar - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Laurel - 3 pcs.
- Allspice - 4 peas.
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- A mixture of peppers.
- Pour a liter of water into a spacious pan, add washed onion husks, laurel, salt and sugar. Bring the resulting mixture to a boil, put in it slices of bacon and cover with a plate so that the product "drowned" in the liquid.
- After boiling again, boil for 20 minutes over low heat. Remove the pan from the stove, and when the liquid has cooled, put in a cold place for 12 hours.
- Remove the fat from the brine, wait until the liquid drains and rub it with a mixture of chopped garlic, paprika and a mixture of peppers. It remains to wrap in a film and send it to the freezer, do not keep it in room conditions.
Before serving, remove the fat from the freezer, wait 5 minutes and cut it into thin slices with a sharp knife. Best delicacy goes with brown bread and mustard.
How to salt salt in a jar at home
- Lard - on the volume of a 3-liter can.
- Salt - 300 grams.
- Black pepper - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Laurel - 3 leaves.
- First, sterilize a three-liter jar and make a tight plastic lid. Cut the lard into medium sized pieces. I cut pieces of 10 by 7 cm.
- Mix 300 grams of salt with black pepper. I advise you to use not purchased pepper, but ground immediately before pickling, it has a more pronounced aroma.
- Rub each piece thoroughly with the resulting mass. Then tightly put in a jar, filling the voids with spicy salt. When the lard reaches the neck of the glass bowl, pour a layer of salt on top and close the dishes tightly.
- If you intend to use the product immediately, keep it in the refrigerator. In the case of prolonged storage at home, it is better to roll up the jar, because under the influence of oxygen it will turn yellow and lose its taste values.
Salted lard prepared in this way is combined with stewed vegetables, mashed potatoes and delicious borsch.
Traditional salting in Ukrainian style
There are many Ukrainian salting recipes, and which one is the best is problematic to say, because it is the culinary symbol of Ukraine. There is one recipe in my culinary arsenal.
- Fat - 1 kg.
- Salt - 200 grams.
- Garlic - 5 cloves.
- Carrots - 1 large.
- Ground pepper - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Coriander - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Paprika - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- First prepare the fat. Use a sharp knife to peel off the skin and remove debris from the surface. I do not advise washing. Then stuff each piece with garlic and carrots.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, pepper, paprika and coriander. Pour the resulting mixture to the bottom of the dishes in which you plan to salt. The main thing is that the container does not oxidize. Rub each bite with the same mixture.
- Place the prepared fat in the dishes with the skin down on a pillow of spicy salt. Next to each piece, put a quarter of bay leaf and a clove of garlic.
- Cover the container and leave for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
- Place the container in the refrigerator for two to three days. Make sure that the color of the veins, which should become red-brown, will help.
For long-term storage at home, Ukrainian-style fat is wrapped in parchment paper or kept in a container in which it was salted. Remember, it is not worth delaying eating a delicacy, after a month the taste will change. Lard is combined with any dishes, whether it is soup, borsch or pasta.
The benefits and harms of fat
It is no secret that the human body cannot function normally without fats. But their high calorie content often leads to obesity. To understand whether salted fat is harmful or beneficial, we will consider these qualities separately.
At all times, lard was the most popular food, as it satisfies hunger after hard work and warms the body in cold weather. Doctors have proven that the lack of fat in the human diet causes damage to health.
Fats contribute to the production of hormones and ensure the preservation of fat-soluble substances. Fat is a source of fatty acids, among which arachidonic acid is a substance that has a positive effect on the functioning of organs and blood parameters. The composition has another important component - lecithin. Thanks to this substance, cell membranes become strong and flexible. For the state of the blood vessels, this is important.
Many doctors recommend consuming lard with high cholesterol along with garlic, which leads to an additional fight against cholesterol plaques.
Harm and contraindications
Opponents of fat are considered to be obese. This is true, but if consumed in large quantities in combination with bread and potatoes. It is recommended to eat no more than 10 grams per day, and the norm for the week is 100 grams. Salty fat is harmful when consumed during an exacerbation of diseases of the digestive system. Eating carefully is recommended during remission.
Pink fat is considered hazardous to health. This color indicates that a lot of blood has got into the fat layer and there may be parasites in it.