In this article, I will share secret recipes on how to cook a delicious borsch, so that you get a fragrant and tasty treat.
Every Ukrainian cook has a smile on his face when borsch is called soup. However, in the cookbooks he is in the section of dressing soups. The point is in history.
In the old days, the menu of our ancestors consisted of a small number of dishes. Among them was borsch, which was a mixture of cooked chopped vegetables. The main role in this mixture belonged to beets.
Over time, Ukrainian cuisine began to develop and, under the influence of European cuisine, potatoes, tomatoes and beans appeared in borsch. The basis of the borsch was the broth, thanks to which it was transformed into a kind of filling soup.
Classic borscht recipe
Borsch is the most popular first course. People who at least once tasted his taste will remain admirers forever.
- potatoes 2 PC
- beet 2 PC
- a tomato 2 PC
- onion 1 PC
- carrot 1 PC
- cabbage ½ head out
- garlic 2 PC
- vinegar 1 Art. l
- Bay leaf 2-3 leaf
- sugar 1 Art. l
- black peas taste
- salt taste
- I wash onions, potatoes, carrots and beets, peel and chop the straws. Thinly shred the cabbage, peel the garlic and crush it, and pour the tomatoes over with boiling water, remove the skin and cut into small cubes.
- I pour water into the dishes, let it boil, add salt, potatoes and shredded cabbage. I cook on low heat.
- Meanwhile, I heat the oil in a frying pan, fry the carrots and onions for 5 minutes, add sugar, vinegar and half the beets. Stir and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- I put the second half of the beets in a bowl, pour boiling water, add a teaspoon of vinegar and let it brew a little. With the help of the resulting beetroot juice, at the end of cooking the borscht I will make the color saturated.
- I add chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and carcass under a lid for 20 minutes into a frying pan with vegetables.
- Add stewed vegetables with bay leaves to the dishes with cabbage and potatoes. I bring to a boil, remove the foam and add the garlic. Remove from heat and let it brew for a quarter of an hour.
- It's time to add the beet juice, strained through cheesecloth, and mix.
Now you know the classic recipe for cooking borsch. Cook this fragrant soup and delight your family with it. I’ll say with confidence that they will like it. To fully reveal the taste, I recommend adding a spoonful of sour cream or cream to each plate. After that, the aroma of borsch will become divine, and the taste will become unique.
Cooking borsch in a slow cooker
My friend all the time claimed that cooked in a slow cooker borscht tastier than cooked on the stove. According to her, she cooks borsch with beans using this kitchen appliance. I believed it with difficulty, until I decided to try. The result was unpredictably good.
Borsch cooked in a slow cooker has one big advantage - there is no need to stand at the stove. It is enough to wait for the treasured signal, which will inform about the readiness of the dish.
- pork ribs - 300 g
- cabbage - 200 g
- potatoes and beets - 2 pcs.
- carrots and onions - 1 pc.
- fresh tomatoes - 2 pcs.
- garlic - 2 cloves
- ghee - 1 tbsp. a spoon
- juice of half a lemon
- salt, herbs, spices, a little sugar
- Peel onions, carrots and beets. I chop the onion with a knife, and I pass the beets and carrots through a coarse grater.
- I crush the garlic, cut the tomatoes into cubes, and shred the cabbage.
- Add oil, onions and carrots to the pan.
- I activate the baking mode and set the time at 5 minutes. Fry vegetables, stirring occasionally.
- I put tomatoes with ribs in the slow cooker and continue to fry for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, potatoes, cabbage and half beets to the pan, salt and pour hot water.
- I put the slow cooker into stewing mode and cook soup for one hour.
- Meanwhile, pour the remaining beets with a glass of boiling water, add lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- I pour the filtered beet broth into the prepared soup, add chopped greens, seasonings and garlic.
- I set the heating mode and leave the soup for 15 minutes.
- Separate the meat from the bones and return it to the pan.
As you can see, cooking borsch in this way is not difficult. In addition, this does not require much time.
Oven borsch recipe
I dare to suggest that many housewives do not want to spend a lot of time cooking. At the same time, they want to feed their family a tasty and fragrant dish.
Previously, I also cooked borsch on the stove. Over time, I decided to experiment, thinking that if you can cook in an oven pork or goosewhy not try cooking borsch. I mixed the ingredients in a saucepan, poured water and sent for an hour to the oven.
- pork - 500 g
- potatoes - 5 pcs.
- cabbage - a third of the head
- onions, beets, sweet peppers and carrots - 1 pc.
- garlic and spices to taste
- tomato paste, greens
- I cut the meat in medium slices, chop the vegetables with cubes or cubes. If the potatoes are not large, I put the whole.
- Season with tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, herbs and spices.
- Mix thoroughly, fill with water and cover. I send the pan with the ingredients to the oven for one hour. The optimum temperature is 180 degrees. In some cases, the cooking time is slightly increased.
After cooking, I poured the prepared soup into plates. Surprisingly, the dish was very tasty. Now I often cook borsch in this way.
How to cook real borsch in Ukrainian
Borsch - Ukrainian national dish with cabbage and beets. If you want to try some light food, especially after the holidays, pay attention to the Ukrainian borsch, which, however, is not prepared quickly.
- beets - 2 pcs.
- beans - 1 tbsp.
- potatoes - 3 pcs.
- cabbage - a quarter of a head of cabbage
- bow - 1 head
- tomato paste - 50 g
- pepper, salt, sugar, bay leaf
- I wash the beans thoroughly and soak for 4 hours. After draining the water. Pour clean water into a pot with beans, put on a stove and let it boil. Then reduce the heat and cook one hour until cooked.
- I clean and wash the onions, carrots and potatoes. I cut potatoes into cubes, cut one carrot into strips. I pass the second carrot through a grater, finely chop the onion. Thin cabbage.
- I put a kettle on the fire and let the water boil. When the beans are boiled, I pour boiled water into the pan, so that in the end it turns out about 2.5 liters. Add potatoes, cabbage and carrots to beans. Boil over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- I clean the beets, wash and pass through a coarse grater. Pour a little oil into the preheated frying pan, spread the beets and the carcass over low heat for about 5 minutes. After the beets, I move them into the pan and cook them all together for 10 minutes.
- Fry onions and carrots in a pan. Add some tomato paste and liquid from borsch. Mix and cook for a few more minutes.
- I put the dressing in a pan with borsch, add bay leaf and a little sugar. I cook under the lid for another quarter of an hour.
- I remove the pan from the stove and let it brew for a few minutes. I serve on the table with parsley and sour cream.
Ukrainian borsch can be served first, and bite a plate tasty buckwheat.
Protein Borscht Recipe
I bring to your attention a recipe for borsch with prunes. I must say right away that there is nothing complicated in cooking.Cook classic borsch with the addition of high-quality prunes. The result is a wonderful treat.
- pork on the bone - 1.5 kg
- cabbage - a third of the head
- prunes - 100 g
- carrots and beets - 1 pc.
- bow - 2 heads
- garlic - 3 cloves
- lard - 50 g
- beans in tomato - 250 g
- pepper and salt
- In a pan I collect 3 liters of water and set the meat to cook. After some time, remove the scum and add spices. I cook the pork almost until ready. It takes about an hour.
- I take the meat from the pan, separate it from the bones and return it to the soup.
- I peel onions and carrots, finely chop and fry on homemade fat. Then salt and add the chopped beets. Mix and stew for 5 minutes.
- Thinly shred cabbage and add to the boiling broth. It's time to chop the prunes.
- A quarter of an hour after the cabbage, I add beans, prunes and stewed vegetables to the soup. Cook over low heat for about 7 minutes.
- I chop the garlic. When cooking comes to an end, add garlic and pepper. Then turn off the fire and let it brew for 15 minutes.
I’ll tell you one secret about serving ready-made soup. Add a little sour cream and fresh herbs to each bowl of borsch. It will turn out a beautiful dish with a breathtaking aroma.
Light veggie borscht
Tired of meat dishes? Do you want your body to rest a bit from fatty meat? Pay attention to the recipe for vegetarian borsch. There is nothing but vegetables in it.
- potatoes - 3 pcs.
- onion, tomato, carrot - 2 pcs each.
- cabbage - 100 g
- green peas - 100 g
- garlic - 2 cloves
- beets - 1 pc.
- tomato paste - 25 g
- hot water - 1 cup
- I put a clean pan on the stove and pour a little oil into it. Add diced beets, grated carrots and chopped onions. At the end of frying, add tomato paste and hot water. After stewing vegetables a quarter of an hour.
- I peel, wash and cut the potatoes into cubes. Then add to the soup. Salt to taste.
- When the soup with potatoes begins to boil, pour in chopped cabbage. I cook almost until ready.
- Add greens, garlic and tomatoes. Borsch for vegetarians is ready.
As you saw, vegetarian borscht is easy to prepare. The lack of meat does not mean that the soup is not tasty. On the contrary, it is extremely useful.
On this note, my culinary symphony about cooking delicious borscht ends. I shared six recipes. I hope you enjoy the result. Good luck in the kitchen and see you soon!