Cooking offers a large number of delicacies that can satisfy the gastronomic needs of any person. Among them is boiled beef tongue, which is easy to chew and incredibly tasty. An article on how to cook beef tongue will reveal the secret of cooking this delicacy.
Boiled beef tongue is served as a separate treat, added to snacks and cold dishes. It is found in salads and is used to make delicious sandwiches. It is not surprising that it is considered a universal product.
Cooking boiled beef tongue is simple, but lengthy. Haste is inappropriate, otherwise the dish will be extremely tough. Cooking time is determined by the age of the animal whose language you decide to feast on.
Cook the beef tongue tasty and right
Practice shows that not every housewife will agree to cook this delicacy, considering the cooking process too complicated. In fact, even a beginner will cope with the task.
If you plan to make soup, pies, jellied or other dish from beef tongue, you will have to boil the ingredient initially.
Nowadays, culinary specialists have access to a large number of recipes for dishes based on beef tongue. This product is part of their composition for a reason. It blends perfectly and adds an expressive taste to sophisticated treats. But only on condition that it was boiled correctly.
- Before cooking, I fill the beef tongue with cold water for half an hour, which facilitates the task of cleaning up contaminants. Next, using a knife, remove dirt, cut off the film and grease. Then, I rinse under running water.
- I pour cold water into a large pot, put it on medium heat and wait for it to boil. I use large dishes, since during cooking the tongue swells and increases in size. In some cases, cut in half.
- I definitely add allspice, parsley and laurel to the pan. These spices add a piquant taste and unique aroma. At the initial stage of cooking, I do not recommend adding salt, otherwise the delicacy will turn out to be tough.
- After boiling the liquid, I reduce the heat a little and send the tongue into the pan. To make the broth transparent, and beef tongue soft and tender, cook it over medium heat and regularly remove the foam.
The duration of the preparation is determined by the weight, size and age of the tongue. This usually takes 2-4 hours. A tongue weighing 1 kg is boiled for about 120 minutes, heavier - at least 3 hours.
- Checking readiness with a kitchen knife or toothpick. Light puncture and the appearance of clear juice indicates complete readiness. Readiness should be checked regularly, otherwise it will be digested, lose its taste and tenderness of the structure.
- After cooking, I move it into a container with cool water, which makes it easier to remove the skin. After this procedure, I return it back with salt, chopped onions, carrot cubes and chopped herbs. The product will reach readiness in 20 minutes.
If I cook christmas salad, wait for cooling, and only after I cut my tongue into thin plates, straws or slices across the fibers. If I plan to use it later, I wrap it in foil or cling film and send it to the refrigerator.
How to clean boiled beef tongue
Properly cooked, sliced with thin plates, seasoned with beef tongue, this is a real delicacy characterized by delicious and delicate pulp. To recreate a masterpiece at home, you do not have to be a kitchen genius. It is enough to know the subtleties of cooking and the features of cleaning the cooked tongue.
- I carefully beat off the thoroughly washed tongue, dip it in a pan with slightly boiling water, add spices. The cooking time, as I said, is an average of 2-3 hours.
- I use a knife, a toothpick or a fork to determine readiness. If the fork manages to pry the skin, and it easily leaves, it is time to get the tongue out of the broth.
- I cool the finished product under running water or lower it into a bowl with ice-cold liquid. I remove the white film in water. Sharp cooling will help to easily remove the film.
With this simple technique, you can peel off a hard skin without much difficulty. After that, a gentle and fragrant pulp will come at your disposal. It can be eaten in pure form or used to make another edible masterpiece.
At all times, properly cooked beef tongue was considered a true delicacy, the discussion of which is senseless. I propose to consider the calorie content, which still causes a lot of questions among gourmets.
As far as I know, 100 grams of raw sheep’s tongue is 9 percent of calories from the daily volume of a person. In numbers it is 140 kcal. According to the culinary experts, the rate depends on beef and processing. Calorie content in boiled form is 90 kcal.
Nutritionists consider this dish the basis in the fight against excess weight. The use of this wonderful product is welcomed by many highly effective diets.
Beef Tongue Recipes
The question of cooking is usually of interest to housewives on the eve of a big holiday, since this product in boiled form is an excellent snack. Remember that cooking requires a lot of time, and for a delicacy to have time for a feast, it is better to cook in advance.
Boiled beef tongue is an excellent base for cold cuts, cold starters or spicy salad. Regardless of the dish, you need to cook it first. This will help the classic recipe.
- beef tongue 1 PC
- onion 1 PC
- carrot 2 PC
- Bay leaf 3 leaf
- salt, pepper black peas taste
- Soak my tongue in cold water for half an hour. Next, I remove the dirt with a knife. At the end of the preparatory phase, I send the tongue into the pan, add water and put on the stove.
- I pour the first broth after boiling, then pour clean water into the pan. As soon as it boils, reduce the heat and cook the tongue without adding salt. To make the flesh fragrant, I send bay leaf, peppercorns and chopped vegetables to the tongue.
- With a slight boil, I cook for about 2.5 hours. I check readiness with a knife. If the blade easily enters, and transparent juice stands out from the flesh, I remove the pan from the stove. Salt the tongue 20 minutes before cooking is complete.
- Lastly, I take the beef tongue out of the pan, cool it and clean it using the technology described above.
Boiled beef tongue in a slow cooker
Cooking in a slow cooker is much easier than in a pan. This high-tech device copes with the task perfectly, making life easier for cooks. An indisputable proof of this statement was the recipe for boiled beef tongue in a multicooker, which I will outline below.
- Beef tongue - 1 pc.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Carrot - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 2 cloves.
- Peppercorns, laurel.
- Water, salt.
- I carefully wash the beef tongue, put it in the multicooker bowl and fill it with water so that the liquid completely covers it. Next, add the peeled vegetables as a whole, peppercorns and salt.
- I turn on the steamer mode for ten minutes.After completing the program, open the multicooker, remove the foam, close the lid and activate the quenching mode, setting the timer for 210 minutes.
- After a new signal, I remove the beef tongue from the slow cooker, dip it in cold water, remove the film, cut into portions and serve.
Boiled beef tongue in a pressure cooker
If a pressure cooker is available, it can be used to prepare a nutritious, tasty and diet dish - beef tongue. I think you did not have to try a more fragrant delicacy.
- Beef tongue - 1 pc.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Celery - 1 pc.
- Water - 1 liter.
- Spices, salt.
- I wash the beef tongue, put it in the pressure cooker bowl, add the chopped vegetables, water and salt.
- I close the lid, activate the languishing mode for an hour and a half. A large beef tongue is cooked in a pressure cooker for 2 hours.
- I take out the finished tongue from the appliance, cool it slightly, remove the peel and serve it to the table, after cutting into slices.
I will pay a little attention to the presentation. Some cooks, before serving, warm the tongue chopped in pieces in white or red sauce, others serve with sour cream sauce. In general, you can just sprinkle it with melted butter. The main thing is to cut immediately before serving, otherwise thin slices will quickly dry out.
It is customary to garnish with boiled potatoes and vegetables, boiled legumes, rice and other friable cereals. Boiled tongue looks good as a separate snack. It is sliced and eaten with croutons or fresh bread, flavored grated horseradish.
Grandma Emma's Video Recipe
The benefits and harms of boiled beef tongue
The delicacy under consideration is listed in the list of valuable offal, and even the most sophisticated gourmets appreciate the treats based on it. As you understand, beef tongue is a muscle in the shell, therefore, harm is manifested only because of the characteristics of health and individual intolerance.
- There is no connective tissue, as a result of which it is well absorbed. It is recommended for people with gastritis, anemia or a stomach ulcer.
- Beef tongue improves insulin production, making life easier for people with diabetes. Insulin regulates glucose levels.
- Source of vitamins. Vitamin B improves the condition of the skin and hair, vitamin PP helps fight insomnia.
- Beef tongue is especially useful for people after surgery and for pregnant women. It saturates the body with the missing trace elements.
The use of the product is due to the enviable content of useful elements - molybdenum, sulfur, chromium, phosphorus. Constant use improves the functioning of organs, helps the normal development of the body, stimulates the production of amino acids and hormones that positively affect the nerves.
Doctors managed to thoroughly study the benefits of the product, but they did not disregard the harm. Let's look at cases where the use of beef tongue is contraindicated or undesirable.
- A lot of fat. Harm can occur with overeating. In abnormal amounts, it affects the functioning of the kidneys and liver. Extremely carefully, elderly people should eat it.
- Due to its low calorie content, it is recommended for people seeking to lose weight. Eat only in the absence of bronchial asthma, allergic rhinitis and problems with the thyroid gland. In addition to the tongue, vegetables and greens should be included in the diet. It is not recommended to combine with fruits.
- It is harmful if antibiotics, pesticides, hormones and additives are present in it. The choice and purchase of a delicacy is taken seriously.
There is a way to reduce product damage. It provides for the removal of the shell during the cooking process, and not after completion. If there are the problems listed above, you should use the delicacy as carefully as possible and in a small amount. Ideally, consult a doctor about this.