People who want to learn how to make sushi and rolls at home find this process difficult. In fact, the opposite is true. The dish, the taste of which we enjoy in restaurants, was invented by culinary specialists from Japan, combining tradition with practicality.
Thanks to the original taste, rice and seafood sushi quickly gained popularity in the world. Traditionally, delicacy is prepared manually, but in some establishments there is a special automated technique that can cope with the task no worse than a cook. If you think that sushi and rolls are difficult to prepare at home, I will try to convince you by telling popular step-by-step recipes with video tips.
Rolls - a traditional Japanese dish called sushi rolls. Sushi - a strip of boiled rice, to which a piece of fish is tied with a thread of dried seaweed.
Having mastered the technique of making sushi and rolls, you can use imagination and experiment with form and filling, which will help create unique recipes. It is possible that in the future one of the recipes will become a culinary masterpiece.
Ingredients for cooking
To prepare sushi and rolls, you need a set of products that you cannot find at home. To get started, drop by the supermarket and buy the following ingredients.
- Special rice for sushi and rolls. Sold in supermarkets in packages of 500 grams. Suitable for cooking and plain riceif cooked correctly.
- Nori. Thin sheets of dark green color, which are based on dry seaweed. Initially, this sheet resembles parchment, but when exposed to moisture it becomes soft.
- Wasabi. Spicy paste of light green hue, which is made from Japanese horseradish. Differs from ordinary horseradish more spicy taste. It’s better not to eat pasta with a spoon. When she is in her hands, you will understand why.
- Mirin. Rice wine used in cooking. If you don’t find it, a special seasoning made of wine, rice or cider vinegar.
- Soy sauce. Shades and complements the taste of sushi and rolls. Before sending sushi in the mouth, it is recommended to dip it in sauce.
- For filling. Cooks use fresh or slightly salted sea fish: salmon, eel or salmon. Various varieties of hard cheese, cucumbers, shrimps, crab sticks are used. Sushi and rolls offer ample opportunities for experimentation. Mushrooms, chicken, fish roe, red pepper, squid, and carrots omelette.
- Bamboo mat. With it, rolling sushi is faster, more convenient and easier.
Now I will share step by step recipes for sushi and rolls, even a novice chef can cope with. I use them regularly for cooking. I hope they take pride of place in your cookbook.
Classic Sushi Recipe
- rice 200 g
- mackerel 200 g
- rice vinegar 1 Art. l
- pickled ginger 10 g
- soy sauce 50 ml
- sugar 1 tsp
- salt 1 tsp
- First, cook the rice according to the cooking instructions on the packaging. In chilled rice, add a mixture of salt, sugar and six tablespoons of vinegar.
- Cut salted mackerel into rags one and a half centimeters thick. Pour the pieces of fish with rice vinegar and leave for a quarter of an hour.
- Put cling film on a cutting board, put fish on top, and then rice. It is important that the rice layer is uniform. Put the plastic wrap, and press down on top with something heavy.
- After three hours, remove the film, and cut the fish with rice into cubes two centimeters thick. I recommend cutting the dish with a knife dipped in water.
You must admit that there is nothing abstruse and complicated in the preparation. I recommend serving with ginger and soy sauce. Connoisseurs of Japanese cuisine eat sushi with chopsticks. If not, take the pieces with your bare hands.
Sweet Sushi Recipe
Now I offer a second recipe with which to make sushi with a sweet taste. I recommend serving at the end of the meal.
- Chocolate - 200 g.
- Rice - 200 g.
- Sugar - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Liquorice pasta.
- Boil rice in water with sugar and refrigerate.
- Melt the chocolate and pour it onto waxed paper. Flatten the chocolate thoroughly.
- Put the cooled rice evenly on a second sheet of paper, sprinkle with licorice paste on top, form a roll. Remove paper.
- Transfer the roll onto a chocolate-coated sheet and roll it into a tube. After the culinary masterpiece, send it to the refrigerator for several hours.
- When the chocolate hardens, remove the product from the refrigerator, remove the second sheet of paper, and cut the roll into pieces.
For a sweet option, jam is suitable, honey or jam. It all depends on the imagination, tastes and preferences. Find the perfect ingredients through experimentation.
How to cook rolls at home
Many European residents like Japanese cuisine, which brings to life a new flavor of taste along with national traditions. People visit eastern restaurants and order sushi and rolls.
Rolls are a modified and improved version of sushi. Boiled rice along with fish, avocado, cucumber and other ingredients are laid out on a nori sheet, after the edible structure is rolled up and cut into slices.
In eastern Cafe or the restaurant offers mosaic and multi-colored rolls, which are served on the table in the form of a beautifully decorated assortment. However, you can set the table in the Japanese style at home.
- Rice - 100 g.
- Cucumber - 2 pcs.
- Lightly salted salmon - 200 g.
- Philadelphia Cheese - 100 g
- Avocado - 1 pc.
- Apple - 1 pc.
- Rice vinegar - 1 pc.
- Water - 1 cup.
- Boil the rice. Ready-made rice grains should be slightly harsh.
- Cut cucumber, apple and avocado into ten centimeters long thin slices.
- On a bamboo mat, lay half of the nori leaf. The shiny side should look down. Top with a thin layer of rice soaked in rice vinegar.
- Lay the cling film on the table next to it, and then turn the bamboo mat on it so that the roll lies with a rice layer on the film.
- Put the filling on the nori, spreading the sheet with a layer of cheese. Do not overdo it, as the cheese is specific. Then put the fruit and vegetable sticks.
- It remains to form a roll by twisting the mat. Cut the finished roll into pieces, put a slice on each salted salmon.
I advise you to serve Philadelphia rolls on a large dish, decorating with ginger and wasabi. I note green paste is extremely sharp. Two squeezed peas are enough. Do not do without soy sauce, which I recommend pouring into a small plate.
Cooking Japanese rolls “inside out” first began in America. The recipe was invented by an American culinary specialist who worked in one of the California restaurants as a chef. The delicacy looks chic and helps to decorate the festive table.
- Rice - 2 cups.
- Crab sticks - 100 g.
- Avocado - 2 pcs.
- Cucumber - 2 pcs.
- Trout fillet - 100 g.
- Rice Vinegar - 50 g.
- Tobiko caviar - 150 g.
- Nori - 1 pack.
- Curd cheese, mayonnaise, soy sauce.
- Cook rice according to the technology described on the packaging, then mix with rice vinegar. Cut crab sticks, cucumbers and trout with avocado into slices.
- Separate half the nori leaf and fill with boiled rice. Pre-lay the sheet on a bamboo mat. Cover the rice with a layer of tobiko caviar. One spoon is enough.
- Turn over the nori mat and brush with mayonnaise. Put the filling on top, form a roll of square shape. It remains to cut the roll into pieces.
You have the opportunity to delight the household with culinary masterpieces from Japan. Rolls are suitable for a regular dinner, and for the new year menu.
How to Marinate Sushi and Rolls Ginger
Ginger is everyone's favorite Indian spice that can only arouse appetite with its appearance and aroma. If you want to plunge into the culture of Japan, without leaving your home, marinate ginger correctly.
If the menu includes rolls or sushi, take care of this spicy snack in advance. You can buy pickled ginger in any supermarket, but you can make seasoning yourself.
Classic Ginger Pickle Recipe
When choosing ginger, be guided by appearance. I recommend buying fresh root, it is better for pickling. Defining a good root crop is not difficult. It has a smooth translucent skin, which is easily scraped off with nails.
- Ginger root - 200 g.
- Rice vinegar - 0.5 cups.
- Sugar - 3 tbsp. spoons.
- Salt - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Peel the ginger root and cut into thin slices. Sprinkle ginger slices with salt and leave to infuse.
- Make a marinade. Pour sugar in a bowl of rice vinegar, mix a little salt. Boil the contents of the pan to dissolve the ingredients. Rinse the ginger and pour in the marinade.
- After cooling, put the dishes with ginger and marinade on a small fire and boil for half an hour.
- The contents of the dishes should be transferred to a glass container and refrigerated for six hours.
If you want to get closer to Japanese cuisine, I recommend staining the pickled ginger pink with a piece of beetroot. Put it in a bowl of pickled spice. Beets will color ginger and soften the taste. Using beetroot juice, color horseradish and sweet mastic.
Alcohol Based Ginger Marinade Recipe
Some chefs make alcohol-based marinades. For this purpose, you will need a few spoons of a strong drink, which will change the characteristics of the taste essence.
- Ginger root - 250 g.
- Sugar - 2.5 tbsp. spoons.
- Vodka - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
- Rosé wine - 2 tbsp. spoons.
- Rice vinegar - 90 ml.
- Rinse ginger root, peel and boil in boiling water for about a minute. After drying, cut into thin plates and put in a glass dish.
- Make a marinade. Mix vodka with wine, sugar and salt, and boil the resulting mixture. Add rice vinegar to the marinade, mix and pour ginger into the liquid.
- Put in the refrigerator until the pickled ginger turns pink.
The appetizer goes well with sushi, rolls, fish dishes and meat. Some kitchen geniuses add pickled ginger to salads to enhance flavor.
Remember, abnormal consumption of pickled ginger leads to the bad consequences presented by problems with the intestines.
In fairness, I note the many benefits of pickled ginger. Snack improves digestion, helps cure poisoning and lose weight, increase efficiency and strengthen metabolism. Ginger normalizes heart function, improves complexion, removes toxins from the body.
How to eat sushi and rolls
Sushi and rolls - Japanese dishes that annually replenish the audience of fans around the world. The use of such food requires compliance with certain ethics and rules. If you do it right, enjoy the true taste of the treats. Otherwise, they will not like it.
If a person looked into a sushi bar and made an order, they would bring him a cup of fragrant green tea. Usually the drink is served free of charge, but not always. The waiter will serve soy sauce on the table and bring a wet towel. On the table there will be a stand on which you will find a compact gravy boat. Pour soy sauce into it and add a little wasabi - a national seasoning, if desired.
Sushi and rolls are eaten with chopsticks or bare hands. The second option is available only for men. If a lady is surrounded by close people, she can neglect the rule.
Sushi or roll dip in sauce. I do not advise you to completely immerse a portioned piece in a spicy liquid. It is better to dip the edge of the fish or the edge of the roll. After the whole tidbit, send it to your mouth. If you bite off small pieces, they will misunderstand.
Eat a piece of ginger right after that. If you don’t like pickled ginger, briefly hold it in your mouth. Ginger knocks down the taste before you try a different roll.
Few people know that sushi is usually taken with green tea, which is offered free of charge in reputable institutions. The drink improves digestion and does not affect the taste.
If you are going to have a Japanese-style feast at home, a purchase or homemade beer. To really immerse yourself in the world of Japanese sensations, you will need a bottle of sake. This rice drink fits perfectly into the picture.
I just wish you bon appetit and say goodbye. See you!