The combination of meat and potatoes is a win-win option and a wonderful basis for cooking delicious casseroles, which will not disappoint with taste. Any cook, regardless of qualification, can easily prepare a delicious potato casserole with minced meat in the oven at home according to my recipes.
There are recipes for sweet and unsweetened potato casseroles. The dish itself appeared completely by accident. At the end of the 19th century, an American housewife used the remnants of food to prepare dinner, poured them with beaten eggs and baked in the oven.
Over time, the recipe has spread throughout the United States and around the world. Nowadays, vegetables, mushrooms, fruits, meat, fish are used to prepare the delicacy.
I will review the classic mashed potato based casserole recipe. The taste resembles a casserole served in cafeterias and catering establishments.
Classic Minced Potato Casserole Recipe
- potatoes 1 kg
- onion 1 PC
- minced beef and pork 400 g
- egg 1 PC
- garlic 2 tooth.
- butter 400 g
- vegetable oil 4 Art. l
- Bay leaf 3 leaf
- salt pepper taste
- Make mashed potatoes. I send the peeled and chopped potatoes into a pot, fill them with water and put on the stove. Immediately add garlic, a couple of leaves of laurel and a little salt. After boiling the liquid, remove the foam and cook the potatoes until cooked.
- I turn off the fire, remove the garlic and laurel from the pan, drain the water, but not completely. Using a crush, mashed the potatoes, then add the butter.
- I fry the chopped large onion to a transparent state, add minced beef and pork, salt, pepper, mix and a little more fry, but not until ready. The main thing is that the onions are well fried.
- While the oven is warming up, grease the baking dish with butter and spread the prepared ingredients. First I make a layer of half mashed potato, and then pour the entire contents of the pan. From above I close the fried minced meat with the onion remaining mashed potatoes.
- Last of all, I grease the surface of the casserole with a beaten egg and send the form to the oven, where at 180 degrees it is baked for about half an hour. The baking process is constantly monitored. Sometimes a casserole gets a fragrant crust a little earlier, which reduces the cooking time.
Ready potato casserole with minced meat is combined with vegetable salads, but I recommend tasting the dish with salty breasts or pickled mushrooms. This edible tandem is guaranteed to satisfy your gastronomic needs.
Potato casserole with minced meat and mushrooms
Now I will teach you how to cook a potato casserole with minced meat and mushrooms in the oven. This treat is characterized by high cooking speed, satiety and excellent appearance. Many housewives cook it only on holidays, like Olivier salad for New Year, and I try to please my relatives much more often.
If you prepare this culinary masterpiece in the oven, it does not mean at all that you have to put all the ingredients in a mold and send it to bake. In fact, several culinary processes are carried out before the formation of the dish.
- Potato - 500 g.
- Mushrooms - 500 g.
- Stuffing - 500 g.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Eggs - 5 pcs.
- Sour cream - 150 ml.
- Hard cheese - 100 g.
- Vegetable oil, pepper, salt.
- I rinse and peel the potatoes, then boil until ready in salt water. To boil the potatoes faster, chop in small pieces. I make mashed potatoes from the finished potatoes, after adding the eggs and sour cream.
- Grind the peeled large onion in half rings and fry in butter. Then I send the mushrooms to the pan and fry until they get a light crust, add pepper and salt. Minced meat is fried separately with the addition of salt and spices.
- Gathering a casserole. I spread half the mashed potatoes in a greased form with butter, carefully level them and make small sides. I spread onion with mushrooms on top, then minced meat. I cover the filling with the remaining mashed potatoes and sprinkle the casserole with cheese.
- I bake refreshments in the oven for about 45 minutes, preheating to 180 degrees. An indicator of readiness is a golden cheese crust. I take out a casserole, wait until it cools slightly, cut into beautiful pieces and serve it to the table.
You can’t even imagine how wonderful this homemade casserole tastes. And if you bring it to the table with squash caviar, get a truly royal feast.
Minced fish casserole recipe
I present a recipe for casserole based on fish filling. Potato casserole with minced fish is a delicacy that can force a lot of emotions for any gourmet. Incredible softness combined with frantic tenderness makes it a leader among the main dishes and delicious side dishes.
- Potato - 6 pcs.
- Cream cheese - 2 tablespoons.
- Minced fish - 500 g.
- Sausage cheese - 1 spoon.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Bouillon cube - 1 pc.
- Mayonnaise - 2 tablespoons.
- Vegetable oil, laurel, peppercorns.
- Favorite seasonings, herbs, chips.
- I peel the potatoes, wash them, cut them into quarters, put them in a saucepan and fill them with water. I add one leaf of laurel, a couple of peas of pepper and a spoonful of vegetable oil, boil the potatoes until tender.
- I pour the potato broth into a separate bowl, mash it, add a little broth and cheese, passed through the grater. I carefully mix everything and set the mashed potatoes aside for cooling.
- Fry chopped onion until golden. In a separate skillet, fry the minced fish that was left over cooking fish cakes, pre-sprinkled with salt and seasoned with spices, pour a little boiling water, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then combine the fried minced meat with onions, add mayonnaise and mix.
- While the oven warms up to 200 degrees, grease the form with vegetable oil, spread half the mashed potatoes, then the fish filling and the second part of the potato-cheese mixture.
- At the final stage, armed with a tablespoon, I make scallops on the surface of the casserole, grease with oil and sprinkle with chopped chips. Bake in the oven until a delicious crust appears.
Video recipe from Pokashevarim
For decoration, chopped greens and pieces of bright vegetables are ideal. In this embodiment, the casserole is an excellent independent dish. To make the meal unforgettable, turn on the menu brussels sprouts.
You must admit that every person sometimes wants to return to childhood for an instant, when mothers, grandmothers, kindergarten and school chefs delighted us with delicious dishes. For example, pork goulash with gravy, kindergarten omelette, baby potato casserole with minced meat.
This easy-to-cook treat is appropriate on an ordinary table, at work, on travel or in nature. Any gourmet, regardless of age, will not give up a portion of a children's casserole.
- Potato - 1 kg.
- Minced meat - 500 g.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Butter - 40 g.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Milk - 150 ml.
- Vegetable oil, breadcrumbs, salt.
- I peel the potatoes, pour them over with water and boil until cooked.I fry chopped onion in oil, combine with minced meat, salt, mix and stew until tender. I don’t cover the pan with a lid, otherwise the filling will turn out too juicy.
- I make mashed potatoes from boiled potatoes, previously adding a raw egg, butter, milk and a little salt. Then I spread the half of the potato mass into a greased form and evenly distribute it.
- In the form I send the filling of onion and minced meat. I carefully distribute, cover with a layer of the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and send to the preheated oven for 30 minutes. The baking temperature is 170 degrees.
I cut the finished dish only after cooling, otherwise it will fall apart. So that the structure of the casserole with minced meat is solid, I recommend that you carefully push each layer with your hands.
I must say right away that a children's potato casserole with minced meat is freshish. Add some garlic, tomato paste to the mince when frying, homemade mayonnaise and spices to add zest. The most suitable spices are rosemary, basil and coriander.
How to make a delicious potato casserole without mincemeat
It's hard to believe, but you can cook a delicious potato casserole even without mincemeat. The recipe, which I will discuss below, will appeal to true vegetarians, and people tired of meat dishes. This is an amazing casserole with incredible taste, unique appearance and French charm.
- Potato - 1 kg.
- Cream - 300 ml.
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Butter - 50 g.
- Sour cream - 100 ml.
- I peel the potatoes, pour them over with water and cut them into thin slices. Usually the thickness does not exceed 3 mm. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- I grease the baking dish well with butter, rub it with chopped garlic and spread the potato slices with tiles.
- I make several layers of potatoes. Between the layers, be sure to put a little garlic and salt. Then I fill the potatoes with fresh cream, grease them with fat sour cream and spread small pieces of butter.
- Bake in a preheated to 190 degrees oven for about 90 minutes. During this time, the potato completely absorbs the cream, and on top is covered with a fragrant crust.
I don’t even know what tastes better than this delicate and fragrant casserole without minced meat. And since there are no meat or fish products in it, I recommend serving it to non-vegetarians with salted mackerel or baked lamb leg.
Secrets of the most delicious casserole
I think by this moment you have no doubt that potato casserole is an easy-to-cook dish at home. The potato base goes well with various fillings. Cooking is an exciting and enjoyable process, and so that the result does not disappoint, pay attention to the secrets of a delicious potato casserole.
- The basis. For casseroles, raw, freshly cooked or left over potatoes are suitable. This means that potato casserole saves food.
- Filling. If you want to please children with treats, make it on the basis of mashed potatoes. Adult gourmets can use a potato base in combination with mushroom, fish or meat filling.
- Ingredient preparation. The taste and consistency of the finished casserole directly depends on the preparation of the products. Ideally, fry or boil them well in advance, depending on the recipes. In addition, it will reduce cooking time.
- Time for preparing. When using raw potatoes, pay attention to the time and temperature of cooking. These parameters may differ from those specified in the recipes, due to the different thickness of the potato plates.
- Delicious crust. If you plan to sprinkle casserole with grated cheese, cover it with foil, otherwise it will burn. The same goes for slices of fresh vegetables.
Now you can rightfully be considered real experts in the preparation of potato casseroles. You know all the secrets and subtleties of this interesting dish. Bon Appetit!